Tusker hit by speeding train, dies
Lakhimpur: An elephant was Thursday crushed under the wheels of the Gokul Express in the Manjhra Purab range of Katarniaghat Wildlife Sanctuary, an official said.
"A probe into the matter has been initiated and if the train driver is found guilty, appropriate legal action would be taken," Divisional Forest Officer of the sanctuary, Ashish, told PTI.
He added that the aged tusker was trying to cross the railway tracks near Khairatia railway station when the incident occurred.
A panel of doctors has been formed to carry out a post-mortem of the elephant`s carcass, he said.
Incidentally, the Mailani-Gonda railway track which passes through the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve has led to a number of wildlife casualties in the protected area.
The Katarniaghat Wildlife Sanctuary, in the Upper Gangetic plains of Uttar Pradesh, was brought under the purview of `Project Tiger` and, together with the Kishanpur Wildlife Sanctuary and the Dudhwa National Park, forms the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference