Twenty-eight whales euthanised after New Zealand stranding
Wellington: A pod of 28 pilot whales had to be put down by conservation workers after a mass stranding on a remote New Zealand beach, an official said today.
Department of Conservation workers found nine whales dead on Stewart Island`s West Ruggedy Beach on Sunday after they were alerted by a passer-by, biodiversity manager Brent Bevan said.
Wild seas and strong winds made it impossible to mount a rescue for the 19 survivors, he said. Conservation officials were forced to euthanise the animals, otherwise they would have suffered greatly, he said.
"There was no way we could attempt a rescue in those sea conditions," Bevan told AP. "We could either euthanise the whales, or leave them to suffer on the beach for two days. We didn`t have any options."
It was the fourth mass stranding on the New Zealand coast in recent months. Some 140 pilot whales died in the three other beachings, while 76 were refloated by rescuers. Whales stranding is not uncommon on Stewart Island, the third largest of New Zealand`s islands. In 2003 about 160 whales stranded and died there.
Large numbers of whales become beached each summer in New Zealand as they pass through Antarctic waters on their way to South Pacific breeding grounds. Scientists have been unable to explain why it occurs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad