Two new species of fish discovered in Arunachal
Itanagar: Scientists at the GB Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development (GBPIHED) have discovered two new species of catfish in the state`s rivers.
"The discovery of two new species of catfish - Erethistoides Senkhiensis and Glyptothorax Dikrongensis was made by the institutes staffers Lakpa Tamang and Shivaji Chaudhry at Senkhi stream and Dikrong River in Papum Pare district," Dr Prasanna K Samal, the institute`s North-East unit incharge, told reporters here today.
The discovery of the species, which were named after their Arunachali sources, is ample proof of the rich flora and fauna of the state, he said.
The Erethistoides Senkhiensis species was captured from the Senkhi stream during samplings carried out between March and June 2006. It was placed in catfish genera Erethistoides, which consists of six species, after consultation of standard literature and compilation of morphometric data.
All the taxonomic and morphometric descriptions were cross checked and it was found that it does not have an overhanging snout, he said.
Besides publishing the discovery of Balitora Brucei, Glyptothorax Telchitta and Pseudolaguvia Shawi, 88 species of freshwater fishes have also been assessed and evaluated by the institute for the Red Data Book for International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read