Two new species of fish discovered in Arunachal
Itanagar: Scientists at the GB Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development (GBPIHED) have discovered two new species of catfish in the state`s rivers.
"The discovery of two new species of catfish - Erethistoides Senkhiensis and Glyptothorax Dikrongensis was made by the institutes staffers Lakpa Tamang and Shivaji Chaudhry at Senkhi stream and Dikrong River in Papum Pare district," Dr Prasanna K Samal, the institute`s North-East unit incharge, told reporters here today.
The discovery of the species, which were named after their Arunachali sources, is ample proof of the rich flora and fauna of the state, he said.
The Erethistoides Senkhiensis species was captured from the Senkhi stream during samplings carried out between March and June 2006. It was placed in catfish genera Erethistoides, which consists of six species, after consultation of standard literature and compilation of morphometric data.
All the taxonomic and morphometric descriptions were cross checked and it was found that it does not have an overhanging snout, he said.
Besides publishing the discovery of Balitora Brucei, Glyptothorax Telchitta and Pseudolaguvia Shawi, 88 species of freshwater fishes have also been assessed and evaluated by the institute for the Red Data Book for International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing