Uma moots for integrated management of Northeast water resources
Itanagar: Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development Uma Bharati has assured Arunachal Pradesh for integrated management of all the water resources of the north-eastern state.
Integrated water management is vital for poverty reduction, environmental sustenance and sustainable economic development," the minister said during a meeting yesterday with a delegation of state BJP leaders led by its President Tai Tagak.
She said, the `National Water Policy` envisages that the water resources of the country should be developed and managed in an integrated manner with the active and productive involvement and participation of the people, a release informed here today.
The delegation apprised the minister about various means of water resources management and optimal sustainable development, maintenance of quality and efficient use of water resources to match the growing demands of North East states and Arunachal Pradesh.
The team also highlighted threats of major flood from the big dams being constructed on Siang, Lohit and Dibang rivers originating from across the border, the release said.
The minister gave a patient hearing and was enthusiastic to know more about the state with rich bio-diversity hotspots while discussing matters about the river basins of Subansiri, Siang and Dihang rivers besides impact of hydro power projects in the state, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!