UN approves creation of environment assembly
Nairobi: The UN General Assembly has approved the establishment of the UN Environment Assembly as part of efforts to support the strengthening and upgrade of the Nairobi-based UN Environment Programme (UNEP).
The UNEP said in a statement that the move reflects the full and future participation of all 193 UN member states in the UNEP`s governing body. Prior to 2012, membership had been limited to 58 countries only, reported Xinhua.
"In its resolution, the General Assembly stated that the new designation does not change the functions of UNEP`s governing body, or the overall mandate, aims and purposes of UNEP," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India’s NSG dream hits the Great Wall of China
- Vyapam scam: Two days after bail, accused mining baron Sudhir Sharma walks out of jail
- University of Mumbai TYBCom Result 2016 (mu.ac.in) not declared yet
- Path forward for India to become NSG member by year-end: US
- NEET-II to be held on July 24: CBSE