UN approves creation of environment assembly
Nairobi: The UN General Assembly has approved the establishment of the UN Environment Assembly as part of efforts to support the strengthening and upgrade of the Nairobi-based UN Environment Programme (UNEP).
The UNEP said in a statement that the move reflects the full and future participation of all 193 UN member states in the UNEP`s governing body. Prior to 2012, membership had been limited to 58 countries only, reported Xinhua.
"In its resolution, the General Assembly stated that the new designation does not change the functions of UNEP`s governing body, or the overall mandate, aims and purposes of UNEP," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!