UN calls for eco-awareness on World Oceans Day
United Nations: The UN has urged the international community to commit itself to keeping the oceans healthy and productive for current and future generations.
"We have to ensure that oceans continue to meet our needs without compromising those of future generations," said Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Sunday in a message on the occasion of World Oceans Day, observed June 8 every year, adding that "their depths hold current and future solutions to humanity`s energy needs".
Unesco Director-General Irina Bokova said: "At a time of rising threats, `business as usual` is no longer acceptable -- we must change how we understand, manage and use ocean resources and coastal areas. For this, we need to know more about the ocean and draw on stronger science to craft sustainable, ecosystem-based policies for the ocean and coasts."
The UN General Assembly has recognised oceans and seas as an important part of sustainable development -- as envisioned by the Millennium Declaration, and its landmark anti-poverty goals (MDGs). Looking now to craft a successor to the post-2015 sustainable development agenda, member states have identified protecting oceans as one of the keys to creating a better, cleaner future for the planet.
"Billions of humans, plants and animals depend on our oceans each and every day," said UN General Assembly President John W. Ashe in his message on the day.
"I call on member states and other stakeholders to continue to take action to protect our oceans by reducing pollution, and protecting marine life for present and future generations," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says