UN chief urges global efforts for drought, desertification
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon has called for a collective global action to build resilience and prepare for droughts, as well as to combat desertification (a type of land degradation).
"Droughts are hard to avert, but their effects can be mitigated. Because they rarely observe national borders, they demand a collective response," reported Xinhua citing the UN chief in a message marking this year`s World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought, which features the theme of "Don`t let our future dry up".
From Uzbekistan and Brazil to the Sahel and Australia, "the social, political and economic costs of drought are evident", said the UN chief.
Last month, Namibia declared a national drought emergency as 14 per cent of the population became food insecure. Last year, the US experienced its worst drought since the 1950s, which affected 80 per cent of agricultural land.
"Over the past quarter-century, the world has become more drought-prone, and droughts are projected to become more widespread, intense and frequent as a result of climate change," said Ban.
The UN chief encouraged countries to build resilience to droughts by implementing the outcomes of the High-level Meeting on National Drought Policy, held in Geneva last March.
He also urged the international community to implement last year`s agreement reached at the UN Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20), to avoid and offset land degradation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray