UN climate change summit: `Time is running out`
Doha: The latest UN climate change conference opened on Monday in Doha, Qatar, where delegates from over 190 countries gathered for discussions on major issues relating to global anti-warming efforts, including details of the Kyoto Protocol`s second commitment period.
Addressing a news conference, UN climate chief Christiana Figueres said: "Time is running out...The door is closing fast on us because the pace and the scale of action is simply not yet where it must be."
Participants at the conference, known as the 18th Conference of Parties (COP 18) to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), expect it to press ahead with what has been achieved in the past and accomplish substantive results.
Days before the meeting`s opening, Figueres had said in Bonn, Germany, that the Doha conference must deliver its objectives to speed up global action towards a low-emission future where everyone has the chance of a sustainable life.
On the first day of the meeting, Abdullah bin Hamad Al-Attiyah, the chairman of Qatar`s Administrative Control and Transparency Authority, was elected as the president of the conference.
Among the priorities of the climate talks, to ensure the seamless continuation of the Kyoto Protocol (on January 01, 2013) and to plan the work under the Durban Platform (a new negotiating mechanism) are high on the agenda.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery