UN climate change summit: `Time is running out`
Doha: The latest UN climate change conference opened on Monday in Doha, Qatar, where delegates from over 190 countries gathered for discussions on major issues relating to global anti-warming efforts, including details of the Kyoto Protocol`s second commitment period.
Addressing a news conference, UN climate chief Christiana Figueres said: "Time is running out...The door is closing fast on us because the pace and the scale of action is simply not yet where it must be."
Participants at the conference, known as the 18th Conference of Parties (COP 18) to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), expect it to press ahead with what has been achieved in the past and accomplish substantive results.
Days before the meeting`s opening, Figueres had said in Bonn, Germany, that the Doha conference must deliver its objectives to speed up global action towards a low-emission future where everyone has the chance of a sustainable life.
On the first day of the meeting, Abdullah bin Hamad Al-Attiyah, the chairman of Qatar`s Administrative Control and Transparency Authority, was elected as the president of the conference.
Among the priorities of the climate talks, to ensure the seamless continuation of the Kyoto Protocol (on January 01, 2013) and to plan the work under the Durban Platform (a new negotiating mechanism) are high on the agenda.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand