UN forum struggles after Copenhagen setback
Bonn: Hopes of hoisting the UN process
for tackling climate change out of the mire after December`s
flawed Copenhagen summit suffered early setbacks at talks Friday.
In the first parley since the stormy December
meeting, no immediate consensus emerged among the 194 parties
to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) for
plotting the way forward and the mood was soured by
"The one thing we learn from history is that we
never learn from history," said Tosi Mpanu Mpanu of the
Democratic Republic of Congo, representing African nations.
Copenhagen damaged "the trust that is necessary for
any partnership," he said.
The three-day gathering in the former German
capital takes place nearly four months after a summit that,
after being billed as the moment when mankind would rally to
fight climate change, came within an inch of catastrophe.
Attended by some 120 heads of state and government,
the summit was saved from fiasco after a couple of dozen
leaders cobbled together a brief document outlining areas of
Their "Copenhagen Accord" sets down a general goal
of limiting global warming to two degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees
Fahrenheit), unites rich and poor countries behind pledges for
tackling greenhouse gases that cause the problem and earmarks
nearly USD 30 billion in aid from 2010-2012, with a prospect
of up to USD 100 billion annually by 2020.
Critics say the emissions pledges, at present
levels, would ensure warming of four C (7.2 F) or more and in
any case are only voluntary.
Others have denounced the accord as a stitch-up
between an elite group of countries; more than a third of
UNFCCC parties have still not endorsed the deal.
In the quest to revive the UN process in time for
the next big UNFCCC meeting, due in the Mexican resort of
Cancun in November and December, many countries today endorsed
ideas for speeding the laborious, consensus-driven
These include setting up a "contact group" of
several dozen countries that would haggle over core issues,
then submit the outcome to a plenary for its approval.
"We cannot go back to business as usual," said a
Spanish delegate, speaking for the European Union (EU).
"We need to improve our working methods," said
Fernando Tudela of Mexico, a vice minister for planning and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared