Unique effort to educate people on tree plantation
Berhampur: A picture board firmly placed at the front of his bi-cycle and a tin box on the carrier, a 40-year old man pedals from one village to another in Odisha`s Ganjam district, educating people about the benefits of planting a tree.
Purna Chandra Acharya`s "one man, one tree" slogan has struck a chord with people, who are only too eager to hear him out. He could also convince them to vacate the villages before Phailin hit the Odisha coast on October 12.
Unflustered, he was back on the muddy tracks the very next-day, pedalling alongside the trail of destruction left behind by the very severe cyclone Phailin.
"My green mission has assumed significance after the cyclone, which caused extensive damage to natural forests in the district. The strong winds denuded several areas of their green cover, turning them into barren patches," he said on reaching Berhampur recently.
According to forest department sources, 78,712 trees in forest areas and 50,000 in urban areas were uprooted in the cyclone.
Acharya has covered 25 worst-affected areas in the district in the last one month.
"I advice every individual to plant at least one sapling," said this school drop-out. He starts on his mission early in the morning and pedals around 50 km daily, before returning home in the evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day