Upsurge in action needed for environment: Pachauri
Dubai: RK Pachauri, the head of the UN panel of climate experts, have asked for concrete action at the grass-root level to save the environment and climate for future generations.
"An upsurge in action at the grass-roots level is needed and it is our children and grandchildren that will face the brunt of our inaction," Rajendra Kumar Pachauri, Director General of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), has said.
Pachauri, who also heads the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), was addressing the opening plenary of the second day of the World Future Energy Summit (WFES) in Abu Dhabi.
During the opening plenary of the second day of the Summit, the UAE Minister of Environment and Water, Rashid Ahmad Bin Fahad, stressed the need to simplify the procedures in financing funds that have decided to be established by Copenhagen accords.
He also pointed to the need to subdue the constraints that might hinder developing nations from receiving financial support and access to new technologies that they need.
"Business as usual is not acceptable as risk of climate change escalates," he said.
The session, the third plenary in the four-day event, saw the panel discuss how much industrialised countries were willing to reduce their emissions of greenhouse gases. Jonas Gahr Store, Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs, said "Copenhagen was far away from filling all our expectations, but we must see it as a start," he commented.
The plenary session panel was opened by the minister and was moderated by Richard Banks, CEO of R M Banks & Co.
Besides Pachauri, Jonas Gahr Store, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Norway; Ditlev Engel, Global President & CEO of Vestas Wind Systems and Richard Jones, Deputy Executive Director of the International Energy Agency (IEA) were also present.
More than 100 official delegations are present at the Summit from countries including Australia, Belgium, China, Italy, India, South Korea, Spain, Germany, USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Netherlands, Japan, Taiwan, Norway and France.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed