Urgently review Uttarakhand`s environment policy: Karan Singh
New Delhi: Talking of the "extensive deforestation" in the Himalayas, Rajya Sabha member Karan Singh said Friday that a review of Uttarakhand`s environment policy was immediately needed.
The former maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir also donated Rs.55 lakh for the rehabilitation of victims in the Himalayan state, ravaged by rain and landslides over the weekend of June 15.
"For decades, I have lent my voice to the anxiety felt by committed environmentalists regarding the extensive deforestation in the Himalayas, and also the building of massive dams on the Ganga and its tributaries," said Singh, who serves also as the president of the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).
"I would urge that there should be an agonising reappraisal of our whole environmental policy in the Himalayas," he said.
"I am donating Rs.50 lakh from my MPLADS fund and Rs.5 lakh on behalf of the Dharmarth Trust, Jammu and Kashmir," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly