US northeast sea surface records highest temperature in 150 years
Washington: Sea surface temperatures in the Northeast Shelf Large Marine Ecosystem during 2012 were the highest recorded in 150 years, it has been revealed.
According to the latest Ecosystem Advisory issued by NOAA`s Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC), sea surface temperature (SST) for the Northeast Shelf Ecosystem reached a record high of 14 degrees Celsius in 2012, exceeding the previous record high in 1951. Average SST has typically been lower than 12.4 C over the past three decades.
SST in the region is based on both contemporary satellite remote-sensing data and long-term ship-board measurements, with historical SST conditions based on ship-board measurements dating back to 1854. The increase in 2012 was the highest raise in temperature seen in the time series and one of only five times it has changed by more than 1 C.
The raise is also affecting distributions of fish and shellfish on the Northeast Shelf.
The advisory provides data on changes in distribution, or shifts in the center of the population, of seven key fishery species over time. The four southern species - black sea bass, summer flounder, longfin squid and butterfish - all showed a northeastward or upshelf shift.
American lobster has shifted upshelf over time but at a slower rate than the southern species and Atlantic cod and haddock have shifted downshelf.
Warming conditions on the Northeast Shelf in the spring of 2012 continued into September, with the most consistent warming conditions seen in the Gulf of Maine and on Georges Bank.
Temperatures cooled by October and were below average in the Middle Atlantic Bight in November, perhaps due to Superstorm Sandy, but had returned to above average conditions by December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi