US oil slick: BP to continue using dispersant on spill
Covington: BP PLC says it is going to stick with the main chemical dispersant it`s been using to fight the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, despite directions from the Environmental Protection Agency to use a less toxic agent.
BP Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles says the chemical dispersant, called Corexit 9500, remains "the best option for subsea application."
He says that tests show Corexit was among the most effective agents at dispersing the oil. And he said Corexit was the only dispersant available immediately and at great
enough quantities to be used on the spill.
Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, members of Congress and
environmental groups have raised questions about the
dispersants, which are being shot into the oil plume thousands
of feet beneath the sea.
The EPA didn`t immediately respond to e-mails seeking
further comment yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened