US reserves judgement on China warming offer
United Nations: The United States today
reserved judgement on a proposal by China to curb the growth
of its carbon dioxide emissions by a "notable margin" by 2020
from their 2005 levels.
Todd Stern, US special envoy for climate change, noted
that Chinese President Hu Jintao did not give specifics on how
much emission growth would be curbed, in his speech to a major
UN conference on climate change.
"He didn`t give a specific number as far as I understand
(of) reductions in carbon intensity, I think it all depends on
how significant it is."
Stern noted that the Chinese already had a 20 per cent
target for greenhouse gas emissions in their five-year plan
Hu told the UN General Assembly that China`s curbs in
emission growth would be measured by unit of Gross Domestic
Product, in line with China`s concerns about preserving its
rapid economic growth.
Nations are due to meet in December in Copenhagen to lay
the framework for the successor to the landmark Kyoto
Protocol, whose obligations on wealthy nations to cut
greenhouse gas emissions expire in 2012.
Developed nations, while pledging to fight global
warming, have insisted that emerging powers also commit to
action as part of Kyoto`s successor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- BJP ally Shiv Sena accuses saffron party of spreading falsehood, rumours
- TCS to be levied above Rs 2 lakh only if payment in cash: CBDT
- Locals, tourists trying to make drug-peddling a business: Goa CM
- Watch: Panaji Mayor Surendra Furtado, 6 others fall in creek during a de-weeding drive
- Three brothers, including two juveniles, gang-rape minor girl