US tops USD 1bn in stimulus for clean energy projects
Washington: The US government has spent more
than one billion dollars on private sector renewable energy
projects from the massive economic stimulus program passed
seven months ago, officials said today.
At a meeting of a group of clean energy developers and
manufacturers at the White House today, Treasury Secretary
Timothy Geithner and Energy Secretary Steven Chu announced USD
550 million in new awards through the Recovery Act.
The awards for 25 projects brings the total to more than
USD one billion awarded to date "to companies committed to
investing in domestic renewable energy production," the
Treasury and Energy departments said in a joint statement.
The milestone spending number is a fraction of the USD
787-billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act enacted on
February 17, a package of tax cuts and spending aimed at
pulling the world`s biggest economy out of the worst recession
since the Great Depression.
Under the Recovery Act, the renewable energy awards are
made from a program that provides cash assistance to energy
producers in place of a tax credit totalling 30 per cent of
the qualifying cost of the project -- thus spending one
federal dollar for every two private dollars invested in a
The officials said that the federal stimulus spending in
green energy was attracting billions of dollars of additional
capital towards projects in the US.
Chu said the investments were crucial to ensuring the
United States can compete and win in the race for the clean
energy jobs of the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced