Use of nuclear power prevents deaths, GHG emissions: Study
Washington: The use of nuclear power has led to prevention of 1.84 million air pollution-related deaths globally and has also prevented the release of 64 billion tons of greenhouse gases that might have erupted from burning coal and other fossil fuels, a new study has revealed.
Pushker A. Kharecha and James E. Hansen from the International Energy Agency have said that nuclear power has the ability to aid in controlling of both global climate change and illness and death associated with air pollution.
Both the researchers analyzed nuclear power`s benefits in reducing carbon dioxide emissions and air pollution deaths keeping in mind Fukushima accident in Japan that could overshadow the benefits of nuclear energy.
The study based upon calculations of prevented mortality and greenhouse gas emissions for the period 1971-2009, confirmed that nuclear power can prevent deaths from 420,000 to 7 million by mid-century, and prevent emission of 80-240 billion tons of the greenhouse gases linked to global warming.
The study that appeared in the ACS journal Environmental Science and Technology further proved that large-scale expansion of unconstrained natural gas use will not help in mitigating the climate problem and will cause far more deaths than the expansion of nuclear power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly