`Vampire` skeletons discovered in Bulgaria
Melbourne: Archaeologists in Bulgaria have unearthed two skeletons from the Middle Ages, which were pierced through the chest with iron rods to keep them from turning into vampires, the head of the history museum said on Wednesday.
Pagan’s believed that people who were considered bad during their lifetimes might turn into vampires after death unless stabbed in the chest with an iron or wooden rod before being buried.
“These two skeletons stabbed with rods illustrate a practice which was common in some Bulgarian villages up until the first decade of the 20th century,” News.co.au quoted national history museum chief Bozhidar Dimitrov as saying after the recent find in the Black Sea town of Sozopol.
The historian explained that the people also believed the rod would also pin the dead into their graves and prevent them from leaving at midnight and terrorizing the living.
The practice was common, Dimitrov added, saying that some 100 similar burials already had been found in Bulgaria.
Archaeologist Petar Balabanov, who in 2004 unearthed six nailed-down skeletons at a site near the eastern town of Debelt, said that the pagan rite was also practiced in neighbouring Serbia and other Balkan countries.
Vampire legends are widespread across the Balkans. The most famous of them all is that of Romanian Count Vlad the Impaler, known as Dracula, who staked his war enemies and drank their blood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam