`Vampire` skeletons discovered in Bulgaria
Melbourne: Archaeologists in Bulgaria have unearthed two skeletons from the Middle Ages, which were pierced through the chest with iron rods to keep them from turning into vampires, the head of the history museum said on Wednesday.
Pagan’s believed that people who were considered bad during their lifetimes might turn into vampires after death unless stabbed in the chest with an iron or wooden rod before being buried.
“These two skeletons stabbed with rods illustrate a practice which was common in some Bulgarian villages up until the first decade of the 20th century,” News.co.au quoted national history museum chief Bozhidar Dimitrov as saying after the recent find in the Black Sea town of Sozopol.
The historian explained that the people also believed the rod would also pin the dead into their graves and prevent them from leaving at midnight and terrorizing the living.
The practice was common, Dimitrov added, saying that some 100 similar burials already had been found in Bulgaria.
Archaeologist Petar Balabanov, who in 2004 unearthed six nailed-down skeletons at a site near the eastern town of Debelt, said that the pagan rite was also practiced in neighbouring Serbia and other Balkan countries.
Vampire legends are widespread across the Balkans. The most famous of them all is that of Romanian Count Vlad the Impaler, known as Dracula, who staked his war enemies and drank their blood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report