Van Gujjars to be roped in for wildlife conservation
New Delhi: Van Gujjars, a community
traditionally living in the forests of Corbett Tiger Reserve
can now hope to play a key role in wildlife conservation in
the area as a scheme to provide them contractual jobs in the
park is on the anvil.
"The move is aimed at integrating the locals in
wildlife conservation efforts as they know the forests like
the back of their palm," Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh
A protocol detailing the criteria for their
recruitment such as salary and education will soon be
"We will soon frame a policy for their recruitment for
protection of the reserves which will be entirely on contract
basis. Of course an educated gujjar will be a bonus for us,"
Vinod Singhal, Director of Corbett Tiger Reserve said.
He said the jobs will be offered on contract basis and
not on regular basis for which state government`s permission
is a must.
"Salary will be taken care under the Central
assistance schemes for Tiger Project," he added.
This is for the first time that Van Gujjars will be
deployed in the reserve which is abode to over 160 tigers.
"We have to suggest salary scales and different
options that we can offer to the Van Gujjars who have deep
knowledge about the jungles. They will certainly give boost to
our wildlife protection activities," Singhal added.
Indicating that provision of 14 per cent reservation to
ECB (Economic Backward Class) was the sticking point in the
bill, Gehlot had said yesterday that it has to be decided
either by the Centre or Parliament.
When asked about his meeting with governor S K Singh
the CM said, "The Governor showed positive attitude towards
the bill... However, it is his prerogative ...CMO can not
comment on its fate".
The Rajasthan SC, ST, OBC, Special Backward Classes,
and Economically Backward Classes Bill-2008, which was passed
in the Assembly in July last year following a violent
agitation by Gujjars to press for Scheduled Tribe status that
claimed 47 lives, is awaiting the Governor`s assent.
Yesterday, the community had threatened to revive the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India