Volcanic rock raft found floating in Pacific
London: A gigantic cluster of floating volcanic rocks, made up of lightweight pumice expelled from an underwater volcano and spread over 26,000 sq km, has been spotted drifting in the Pacific.
A New Zealand air force plane spotted the rocks Thursday about 1,000 km offshore from New Zealand and warned a navy warship in the area.
The weird phenomenon, which witnesses described as resembling a polar ice-shelf, was made up of lightweight pumice expelled from an underwater volcano, the New Zealand navy said.
Lieutenant Tim Oscar said while he knew his ship the HMNZS Canterbury was in no danger, it was still the weirdest thing he`s seen in 18 years at sea, the Daily Mail reports.
"As far ahead as I could observe was a raft of pumice moving up and down with the swell.
"The rock looked to be sitting two foot above the surface of the waves and lit up a brilliant while colour in the spotlight. It looked exactly like the edge of an ice shelf," Oscar said.
Scientists aboard the ship said the pumice probably came from an underwater volcano called Monowai, which has been active recently.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?