Volcanoes beneath Antarctic ice sheet melting glaciers
New York: Not only climate change, subglacial volcanoes below the West Antarctic ice sheet are also contributing to the melting of Thwaites Glacier - a major river of ice that flows into Antarctica`s Pine Island Bay, a study suggests.
“Areas of the glacier that sit near geologic features thought to be volcanic are melting faster than regions farther away from hotspots,” said Dustin Schroeder, a geophysicist at the University of Texas at Austin.
The researchers built on a previous study that mapped out the system of channels that flow beneath the Thwaites Glacier, a fast-flowing glacier that scientists say is vulnerable to global warming.
Using data from airborne radar, the researchers were able to figure out where these subglacial streams were too full to be explained by flow from upstream.
"The swollen streams revealed spots of unusually high melt," Schroeder said.
The minimum average heat flow beneath Thwaites Glacier is 114 milliwatts per square metre (or about 10 square feet) with some areas giving off 200 milliwatts per square metre or more, the study showed.
"In comparison, the average heat flow of the rest of the continents is 65 milliwatts per square metre," Schroeder said.
“The extra melt caused by subglacial volcanoes could lubricate the ice sheet from beneath, hastening its flow toward the sea,” Schroeder said.
To understand how much the volcanic melt contributes to this flow - and what that means for the future of the West Antarctic ice sheet - glaciologists and climate scientists will have to include the new, finer-grained findings in their models, Live Science reported.
The findings appeared in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015