WB approves $1 bn loan to clean Ganga river
Washington: The World Bank has approved a $1 billion loan to India to help clean its river Ganga that accounts for one fourth of the country`s water resources. The river is facing extreme pollution pressures and threats to its biodiversity, the bank said in a statement Tuesday.
The Ganga basin is home to more than 400 million Indians.
Only about one-third of the sewage generated by the towns and cities along the river are treated, while a significant volume of untreated or poorly treated industrial effluents are discharged into the river, it said.
"The World Bank is honored to be able to support the government in its efforts to revitalize this holy and mighty river of India," Xinhua quoted Roberto Zagha, the bank`s country director for India, as saying.
In 2009, India had set up the National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) to help clean the river.
"The government of India is clearly committed to this, has a robust plan of action and is dedicating the required resources for this national effort. I am confident that with sustained public and political support for the NGRBA Program, significant progress towards cleaning the Ganga will be achieved," Zagha said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof