WB approves $1 bn loan to clean Ganga river
Washington: The World Bank has approved a $1 billion loan to India to help clean its river Ganga that accounts for one fourth of the country`s water resources. The river is facing extreme pollution pressures and threats to its biodiversity, the bank said in a statement Tuesday.
The Ganga basin is home to more than 400 million Indians.
Only about one-third of the sewage generated by the towns and cities along the river are treated, while a significant volume of untreated or poorly treated industrial effluents are discharged into the river, it said.
"The World Bank is honored to be able to support the government in its efforts to revitalize this holy and mighty river of India," Xinhua quoted Roberto Zagha, the bank`s country director for India, as saying.
In 2009, India had set up the National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) to help clean the river.
"The government of India is clearly committed to this, has a robust plan of action and is dedicating the required resources for this national effort. I am confident that with sustained public and political support for the NGRBA Program, significant progress towards cleaning the Ganga will be achieved," Zagha said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region