WB lends USD 60mn for afforestation in China
Beijing: The World Bank Friday approved a $60 million loan to support an afforestation project in China`s eastern Shandong province, Xinhua reported.
The project will reduce soil erosion and protect agricultural land, the World Bank said in a statement.
As part of the Shandong ecological afforestation project, plantation will be carried out in 38,000 hectares of degraded land as well as in the coastal areas.
The loan will cover 50 percent of the project costs. The remaining 50 percent will be financed by government organisations. A monitoring and evaluation system would be set up to measure the outcomes of the project.
While most previous World Bank projects had focused on improving timber output, quality and standards, this project would focus on environmental protection by establishing forest cover in areas prone to soil erosion and coastal areas prone to wind erosion, said Susan Shen, a natural resource management specialist with the bank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok