WB lends USD 60mn for afforestation in China
Beijing: The World Bank Friday approved a $60 million loan to support an afforestation project in China`s eastern Shandong province, Xinhua reported.
The project will reduce soil erosion and protect agricultural land, the World Bank said in a statement.
As part of the Shandong ecological afforestation project, plantation will be carried out in 38,000 hectares of degraded land as well as in the coastal areas.
The loan will cover 50 percent of the project costs. The remaining 50 percent will be financed by government organisations. A monitoring and evaluation system would be set up to measure the outcomes of the project.
While most previous World Bank projects had focused on improving timber output, quality and standards, this project would focus on environmental protection by establishing forest cover in areas prone to soil erosion and coastal areas prone to wind erosion, said Susan Shen, a natural resource management specialist with the bank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray