Webcast of Olive Ridley sea turtle nesting in Odisha
Kendrapara: Defence Research and Development Organisation and Odisha`s forest department will jointly live stream the annual event of the mass nesting of Olive Ridley turtles in Gahirmatha nesting ground on internet.
Authorities of strategic test range centre turned down the request for installation of a transmitter by the forest department because of security-related reason.
However, the defence wing agreed to provide infrastructure and logistics for global viewing of the natural phenomenon, forest officials said.
There is sizeable congregation of Olive Ridley turtles along Gahirmatch coastal waters in Kendrapara district, said Divisional Forest Officer, Rajnagar Mangrove (wildlife) Forest Division, Kedar Kumar Swain.
There are positive indications of millions of turtles turning up at the beach to lay eggs. The turtle protection patrolling vessels have traced movement of thousands of turtle within one nautical seaward distance of the Gahirmatha nesting beach.
Sea patrolling vigil has stepped close to Gahirmatha coast.
This is for the first time that web-casting of arribada or en-masse egg laying of sea turtles is being kicked off to provide global exposure to the unique natural heritage.
DRDO disallowed the forest department to install transmitter for web casting as the defence body expressed concern of security threat.
"Earlier we were planning to put in place a transmitter tower at the remote island for hassle-free web connectivity. Now web connectivity would be done the transmitter tower of the defence installation," DFO Swain said.
Idyllic Gahirmatha nesting ground, which lies along the Nasi-1 and Nasi-2 Islands, is a remote and far-flung spot. Arriving at the spot is an ardous exercise. As a result, the mass nesting phenomenon has so far remained out of bounds for tourists, visitors and researchers.
Besides, location of DRDO`s test range centre in close vicinity of the nesting ground often pose major hindrance for visit to the place because of security-related factors.
Turtles are Odisha`s pride possession. Web-casting would give the much-needed exposure to the marine animals. It would also boost eco-tourism prospect, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks