Whales honeymoon off Dominican Republic coast
Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic): Like many of the jet set, some humpback whales swim to the Atlantic off the Dominican Republic coast to mate.
No one really knows why they do it, but as exact as a clock, the giant cetaceans swim, court and pair near Samana Province, says a Prensa Latina report.
The whales sail down from distant places like Iceland, Canada and north US to enjoy, like the rich and famous, destinations like Casa de Campo - scene of showbiz star weddings, especially from the US.
This year, tourism promoters have increased the number of observatories to adjust transportation, lodging and food prices plus the tariff to take a close look at the mating ceremony - 3,000 dollars for nationals and much more for the foreigners with the plane ticket added.
The Dominicans hope, once the mating season is over, for a significant addition to the 15,000 visitors to this resort, with dolphins and sharks also contributing to the show, perhaps searching for a mate as well.
Meanwhile, the humpback whales go about their business despite the enthusiasm of managers of the idle industry, the indiscretion of the tourists and the presence of other aquatic creatures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest