Why snakes don’t need wings to fly
Washington: Scientists have discovered that some species of snake can stay airborne for up to 79 feet.
The acrobatic arboreal snakes, all in the genus Chrysopelea, use what`s known as gliding flight to sail from tree to tree in their Southeast and South Asia habitats.
The research might lead to improved micro-air vehicles, small unmanned and often autonomous flying machines that mimic these actions.
"The snake isn`t defying gravity or doing something out of the blue," Discovery News quoted project leader Jake Socha, a Virginia Tech biologist, as saying.
"It`s the magnitude of the forces that are somewhat surprising. Given that this is a snake, and its cross-sectional body shape is more like a blunt shape than a typical streamlined wing, we wouldn`t have expected such good aerodynamic performance," he added.
The team developed a mathematical model and found that the “snake creates lift using a combination of its flattened cross-sectional shape and the angle that it takes to the oncoming airflow, known as the angle of attack."
To take off from a tree branch, for example, these snakes will drop the front of their bodies to create a "J"-shaped loop before jumping and accelerating upwards. That motion hurls the snake into the air.
But they don’t fall back on the ground immediately. Instead, "the snake is pushed upward -- even though it is moving downward -- because the upward component of the aerodynamic force is greater than the snake`s weight," Socha said.
"But our modeling suggests that the effect is only temporary, and eventually the snake hits the ground to end the glide."
"It`s really remarkable that an animal that, at first glance, possesses a body plan that seems so ill-suited to gliding can not only support its body weight with aerodynamic forces, but actually create a surplus of these forces," said Greg Byrnes, a postdoctoral fellow in the University of Cincinnati`s Department of Biological Sciences.
The study will be published in the journal Bioinspiration & Biomimetics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’