Wild animals begin seasonal migration to Wayanad Sanctuary
Kalpetta: As the mercury soars in the Nilgiris Biosphere, wild animals from the forest areas of nearby Karnataka and Tamil Nadu have begun migrating to the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary in search of fodder and water. Bestowed with an abundance of fodder and water, the sanctuary has turned out to be a safe haven for wild animals like wild elephants, gaur, species of antelopes and bears during the peak summer season.
The annual migration usually begins by February end and goes on till onset of the monsoon, a senior forest official said, adding the forest department has initiated
steps to ensure availability of fodder and water for the migrating wild "guests".
Though the habitat has so far not been facing water scarcity, two temporary checkdams are being built inside the sanctuary, where water streams could dry up during the peak
summer months, he said.
"In case of any emergency, there is a tender machine with a water storage capacity of 3,000 litres and we can pump water as and when required," he added.
Moreover, work on a new earthen dam at a cost of Rs three lakh would begin soon at Muthappankolly, a major habitat of wild elephants in Muthanga range under WWLS, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read