Winged guests start arriving in Chilika lake
Berhampur (Orissa): Winged guests from far off places have started arriving at the world famous Chilika lake in Orissa, a fortnight or so after their usual arrival time.
Divisional forest officer of Chilika wildlife division B P Acharya said the first batch of the migratory birds had been seen wandering in the lake in the Nalabana bird sanctuary last Monday.
``Since a number of birds take shelter in the periphery of the lake, we think they will swoop down on the lake very soon,`` said another wildlife officer.
Their arrival was, however, delayed by about a fortnight compared to the previous years, the high water level in the blue lagoon of the Nalabana being the reason, the DFO said.
Former wildlife warden S K Patnaik said the erratic weather condition and delay in the onset of winter in the state might be the cause of their delayed arrival.
The birds generally migrate to other places when they face scarcity of food and heavy snowfall in their habitats and in the present case those reasons could vey well apply, a retired senior forest officer Sudhakar Mohapatra said.
The delay, wildlife scientist Sudhakar Kar explained, could also be because of the stopovers they had to make on way to Chilika on account of bad weather.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez