Wolf-like dinosaur fed on small flying dinos: Study
Toronto: Researchers have discovered that a flightless wolf-like dinosaur was able to catch and prey on small flying dinosaurs.
Researchers from the University of Alberta found fossilised remains of three flying dinosaurs in the belly of a raptor-like predator called Sinocalliopteryx.
Sinocalliopteryx was about two metres in length and roughly the size of a modern-day wolf.
Sinocalliopteryx`s meals were three flying Confuciusornis. Confuciusornis was one of the earliest birds and had a crude version of a modern bird`s skeleton and muscles.
Researchers said such primitive birds were probably limited to slow take-offs and short flights.
"Sinocalliopteryx didn`t have wings or the physical tools needed to be an adept tree climber," co-author Scott Persons, said.
"The fact that this Sinocalliopteryx had, not one, but three undigested birds in its stomach indicate it was a voracious eater and a very active hunter," Persons said.
The fossil skeleton was found in China`s Liaoning region along with a second Sinocalliopteryx.
The second dinosaur had eaten a Sinornithosaurus, a small feathered meat-eater about the size of a house cat that may have been able to fly or glide short distances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA