Working with India to accelerate clean energy revolution: US
Washington: The US is working closely with India to accelerate its clean energy revolution and address the impacts of climate change, the White House said today.
"We are working closely with India to accelerate its clean energy revolution and address the impacts of climate change in vulnerable communities," said a White House fact sheet said as it announced a new strategy to reduce methane emission.
The strategy summarises the sources of methane emissions, commits to new steps to cut emissions of this potent greenhouse gas, and outlines the Administration?s efforts to improve the measurement of these emissions.
It builds on progress to date and takes steps to further cut methane emissions from landfills, coal mining, and agriculture, and oil and gas systems through cost-effective voluntary actions and common-sense standards.
As part of the Quadrennial Energy Review, and through DOE-convened roundtables, the Administration will identify "downstream" methane reduction opportunities.
Taking action to curb methane waste and pollution is important because emissions of methane make up nearly 9 per cent of all the greenhouse gas emitted as a result of human activity in the United States.
Since 1990, methane pollution in the United States has decreased by 11 percent, even as activities
that can produce methane have increased.
However, methane pollution is projected to increase to a level equivalent to over 620 million tons of carbon dioxide pollution in 2030 absent additional action to reduce emissions.
"When fully implemented, the policies in the methane strategy will improve public health and safety while recovering otherwise wasted energy to power our communities, farms, factories, and power plants," the White House said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar