World Bank-funded project could cause harm: Activists
Shimla: Fifty prominent national groups and green activists Monday questioned the environment and forests ministry`s clearance to a World Bank-funded mega hydropower project coming up in Himachal Pradesh.
In a missive to union Minister for Environment and Forests Jayanthi Natarajan, they demanded the cancellation of the environment clearance granted by the ministry`s panel to the state-run Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd. (SJVNL) for its 775 MW Luhri project on the Satluj river in upper Shimla.
An expert appraisal committee (EAC) on river valley projects of the ministry had recommended environmental clearance to the project at its meeting last November, the letter said.
"Recommending environment clearance without first undertaking carrying capacity and cumulative impact assessment is in violation of the Supreme Court order of May 2006," the letter said.
Quoting the apex court order, the letter said that preventive measures have to be taken, keeping in view carrying capacity of the ecosystem operating in the environmental surroundings under consideration.
The activists claimed that since the carrying capacity of the Satluj basin was not known, the project could not get a nod from the environment ministry.
"The expert appraisal committee`s decision is in violation of the Supreme Court order," the letter said.
The letter pointed out that the Luhri project has a head race tunnel length of 38.14 km, the longest in the world.
"The tunnel will bypass over 50 km length of the river, in addition to the 6.8 km long reservoir. So the project will destroy close to 60 km length of the mighty, already over-dammed Satluj river," the letter said.
The activists claimed that the project would hit 2,337 land owners and 9,674 people belonging to over a hundred villages, including the 78 villages located along the head race tunnel.
SJVNL deputy general manager Vijay Verma told IANS the company will adequately compensate project-affected families.
According to forest department estimates, over 9,000 hectares of forest land has so far been diverted for non-forest uses. Of this, 7,000 hectares have been used for hydel projects.
The signatories to the letter included Narmada Bachao Andolan, Bharat Jan Andolan, National Alliance of People`s Movements, All India Forum of Forest People, People`s Science Institute, Save Rivers Campaign of Uttarakhand and Nature Conservation Foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India