New Delhi: Sharks are often considered as the most dangerous species of fish. There are more than 500 known species of sharks living in our oceans today.
The United Nations Organisation (UN) celebrate World Oceans Day on June 8 each year since 2008.
On the occasion of World Oceans Day, we bring you some interesting facts about this mighty species:
- There are many species of shark, but the whale shark is the largest and can grow three times as large as other sharks.
- Out of more than 500 sharks, only 20% species grow to be longer than 1.6m in length.
- Sharks are thought to have inhabited the oceans of the world for 400 million years. They have survived five massive planetwide extinction events.
- Sharks have good eye vision because of the good membrane in the back of their eye which is called tapetum lucidum.
- 'Angel shark' or 'sand devils' dig themselves into piles of sand and wait for unsuspecting prey to swim by.