World`s biggest insect found
London: An American explorer claims to have found the world`s biggest insect on New Zealand`s Little Barrier Island.
The insect is called the "Weta Bug" and has a wing span of around 18 cm and weighs "as much as three mice", The Sun reported.
The insect, which was found by 55-year-old Mark Moffett, was thought to have become extinct after Europeans brought rats to New Zealand many years ago.
"Three of us walked the trails of this small island for two nights scanning the vegetation for a giant weta. We spent many hours with no luck finding any at all, before we saw her up in a tree. The giant weta is the largest insect in the world, and this is the biggest one ever found," said Moffett.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?