World`s first two-headed bull shark discovered
Washington: Scientists have discovered the world`s first two-headed bull shark in the Gulf of Mexico.
The study led by Michigan State University confirmed the specimen, found on April 7, 2011, was a single shark with two heads, rather than conjoined twins.
There have been other species of sharks, such as blue sharks and tope sharks, born with two heads. This is the first record of dicephalia in a bull shark, said Michael Wagner who confirmed the discovery.
"This is certainly one of those interesting and rarely detected phenomena," Wagner said in a statement.
"It`s good that we have this documented as part of the world`s natural history, but we`d certainly have to find many more before we could draw any conclusions about what caused this," he said.
The difficulty of finding such oddities is due, in part, to creatures with abnormalities dying shortly after birth. In this instance, a fisherman found the two-headed shark when he opened the uterus of an adult shark. The two-headed shark died shortly thereafter and had little, if any, chance to survive in the wild, according to the study that appears in the Journal of Fish Biology.
"You`ll see many more cases of two-headed lizards and snakes. That`s because those organisms are often bred in captivity, and the breeders are more likely to observe the anomalies," Wagner added.
Wagner and his team were able to detail the discovery with magnetic resonance imaging. Without damaging the unique specimen, the MRIs revealed two distinct heads, hearts and stomachs with the remainder of the body joining together in back half of the animal to form a single tail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?