World`s oldest animal `marriage` set for divorce!
London: After being together for an unfathomable 115 years, two turtles in a European zoo have gone their separate ways - refusing to share their cage anymore and looking set to end the world`s oldest animal `marriage`.
Bibi and Poldi have been a pair since before anyone alive today can remember - they have been together at the Austrian zoo in Klagenfurt for 36 years and before that they lived at Basel zoo in Switzerland, the Daily Mail reported.
Both 115 years old, the pair grew up together and eventually became an item.
The break-up, which has baffled the zoo officials, it seems, was initiated by Bibi, the female turtle.
According to the report, the staff realised all was not well when Bibi attacked Poldi ? biting off a chunk of his shell.
She launched further attacks on her partner until he was moved to a different location.
Giant turtles have no teeth but instead have a horn rimmed mouth and a powerful jaw which can cause serious damage.
Zoo management have called in animal experts to try and give the pair counselling - feeding them romantic good mood food and trying to get them to join in joint games - but so far without effect.
Zoo staff have told the experts that nothing has changed in the pair`s routine - but Bibi in particular wanted to have the cage to herself and be a single.
Zoo boss Helga Happ said that the pair seems to have fallen out, adding that they "just can`t stand each other".
Helga added: "We have staff talking to and trying to engage the two in interacting, and we hope that they might find their harmony again.
"We were told that it`s very rare that after so many years animals who are a pair will fall apart, but that`s where we are. We hope though we can bring round a reconciliation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city