World`s oldest animal `marriage` set for divorce!
London: After being together for an unfathomable 115 years, two turtles in a European zoo have gone their separate ways - refusing to share their cage anymore and looking set to end the world`s oldest animal `marriage`.
Bibi and Poldi have been a pair since before anyone alive today can remember - they have been together at the Austrian zoo in Klagenfurt for 36 years and before that they lived at Basel zoo in Switzerland, the Daily Mail reported.
Both 115 years old, the pair grew up together and eventually became an item.
The break-up, which has baffled the zoo officials, it seems, was initiated by Bibi, the female turtle.
According to the report, the staff realised all was not well when Bibi attacked Poldi ? biting off a chunk of his shell.
She launched further attacks on her partner until he was moved to a different location.
Giant turtles have no teeth but instead have a horn rimmed mouth and a powerful jaw which can cause serious damage.
Zoo management have called in animal experts to try and give the pair counselling - feeding them romantic good mood food and trying to get them to join in joint games - but so far without effect.
Zoo staff have told the experts that nothing has changed in the pair`s routine - but Bibi in particular wanted to have the cage to herself and be a single.
Zoo boss Helga Happ said that the pair seems to have fallen out, adding that they "just can`t stand each other".
Helga added: "We have staff talking to and trying to engage the two in interacting, and we hope that they might find their harmony again.
"We were told that it`s very rare that after so many years animals who are a pair will fall apart, but that`s where we are. We hope though we can bring round a reconciliation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...