`World`s strongest insect can pull load 1141 times its weight`
London: Dung beetle species Onthophagus
taurus, that has been named as the world`s strongest insect by
scientists, can pull a load 1,141 times its own body weight.
It is equivalent of an average person pulling six
fully-laden double decker buses, the Daily Mail reported.
A team of researchers from QueensMary University of
London tested the physical strength of male dung beetles by
measuring the amount of force required to pull a rival from
the hole a female beetle has dug to reproduce in.
Rob Knell, one of the researchers said: "Female beetles
of this species dig tunnels under a dung pat, where males mate
with them. If a male enters a tunnel that is already occupied
by a rival, they fight by locking horns and try to push each
Male dung beetles prove their supremacy in front of a
female by pushing any competing males out of the tunnel, Knell
said in the study published in the journal Proceedings of the
Royal Society B.
"Insects are well known for being able to perform amazing
feats of strength, and it`s all on account of their curious
sex lives," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India