Yamuna activists block Delhi-Agra highway
Mathura: Thousands of activists, on a march from Vrindavan to Delhi demanding release of Yamuna water from Hathini Kund barrage, today blocked the Delhi-Agra highway and rail route, disrupting traffic movement majorly.
However, the traffic movement was soon restored, Senior Superintendent of Police Pradip Kumar Yadav said.
The activists, who started the 10-day march from Vrindavan on Friday, were earlier supposed to enter Haryana today.
"After reaching Kosi Kalan town yesterday, the locals along with the villagers decided to block the highway," Sunil Singh, acting president of Yamuna Rakshak Dal that is leading the campaign said.
The activists blocked the Delhi-Agra highway around 9 am today by parking trucks and other vehicles, Yadav said, adding that they later also blocked the Delhi-Agra rail route and stopped goods and passenger trains.
After police intervention, the marchers are now heading towards Haryana as per their schedule, the SSP said, adding that the situation is under control.
Over 10,000 marchers, including saints, volunteers, Bharatiya Kisan Union activists and members of religious and social groups, are participating in the campaign.
Their two major demands are that at least 50 per cent of water from Hathini Kund barrage is released into Yamuna and concrete steps are taken to stop the discharge of pollutants, effluents and sewer waste into the river by drains of Delhi.
The protesters are expected to reach Delhi on March 10, where they would hold an indefinite dharna near Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened