Yamuna activists block Delhi-Agra highway
Mathura: Thousands of activists, on a march from Vrindavan to Delhi demanding release of Yamuna water from Hathini Kund barrage, today blocked the Delhi-Agra highway and rail route, disrupting traffic movement majorly.
However, the traffic movement was soon restored, Senior Superintendent of Police Pradip Kumar Yadav said.
The activists, who started the 10-day march from Vrindavan on Friday, were earlier supposed to enter Haryana today.
"After reaching Kosi Kalan town yesterday, the locals along with the villagers decided to block the highway," Sunil Singh, acting president of Yamuna Rakshak Dal that is leading the campaign said.
The activists blocked the Delhi-Agra highway around 9 am today by parking trucks and other vehicles, Yadav said, adding that they later also blocked the Delhi-Agra rail route and stopped goods and passenger trains.
After police intervention, the marchers are now heading towards Haryana as per their schedule, the SSP said, adding that the situation is under control.
Over 10,000 marchers, including saints, volunteers, Bharatiya Kisan Union activists and members of religious and social groups, are participating in the campaign.
Their two major demands are that at least 50 per cent of water from Hathini Kund barrage is released into Yamuna and concrete steps are taken to stop the discharge of pollutants, effluents and sewer waste into the river by drains of Delhi.
The protesters are expected to reach Delhi on March 10, where they would hold an indefinite dharna near Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal