Yamuna activists block Delhi-Agra highway
Mathura: Thousands of activists, on a march from Vrindavan to Delhi demanding release of Yamuna water from Hathini Kund barrage, today blocked the Delhi-Agra highway and rail route, disrupting traffic movement majorly.
However, the traffic movement was soon restored, Senior Superintendent of Police Pradip Kumar Yadav said.
The activists, who started the 10-day march from Vrindavan on Friday, were earlier supposed to enter Haryana today.
"After reaching Kosi Kalan town yesterday, the locals along with the villagers decided to block the highway," Sunil Singh, acting president of Yamuna Rakshak Dal that is leading the campaign said.
The activists blocked the Delhi-Agra highway around 9 am today by parking trucks and other vehicles, Yadav said, adding that they later also blocked the Delhi-Agra rail route and stopped goods and passenger trains.
After police intervention, the marchers are now heading towards Haryana as per their schedule, the SSP said, adding that the situation is under control.
Over 10,000 marchers, including saints, volunteers, Bharatiya Kisan Union activists and members of religious and social groups, are participating in the campaign.
Their two major demands are that at least 50 per cent of water from Hathini Kund barrage is released into Yamuna and concrete steps are taken to stop the discharge of pollutants, effluents and sewer waste into the river by drains of Delhi.
The protesters are expected to reach Delhi on March 10, where they would hold an indefinite dharna near Parliament.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal