Zero waste toilet system inaugurated
Tiruchirapalli: With a view to encouraging public to follow environmentally friendly solid waste management practices and end open defecation, a Zero Waste Toilet System, claimed to be the first in the country, has been inaugurated here.
The Integrated Urine Diversion Biogas linked flush toilet system was inaugurated in Evoor village near Musiri yesterday by District Collector Jayashree Muralidharan.
Speaking on the occasion, she said Government was giving topmost priority for liquid and solidwaste management and wanted public to end the practice of open defecation and follow environmentally friendly solid waste management practices.
She said in the past three months 358 women sanitary complexes in the district have been renovated at a cost of Rs. 10 crore and handed over to SHG groups for maintenance.
M. Subburaman, Director, SCOPE said that the first Zero Waste Toilet System in the country was initiated by SCOPE and constructed in the house of Thalapathy, a progressive farmer of Evoor Village, at a cost of Rs 37,000.
The ZWTS has five modules a flush out toilet, a bathroom, a urine diversion bowl, a cultivated wetland for treating bathroom water and a biogas plant. The user friendly ZWTS provided the family with a flush out toilet, urine for irrigating the farm, biogas for cooking and slurry from the biogas unit which was excellent manure, he said.
No waste was generated in the ZWTS and all waste were converted into environmentally friendly useful products said A. James, Water and Sanitation Consultant, New Delhi.
G Anand, Solution Centre, Cochin said the ZWTS was the entry of Benjamin Clouet, which won the first prize in the International Sanitation Innovation Contest organised by `FINISH,` New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog