Zero waste toilet system inaugurated
Tiruchirapalli: With a view to encouraging public to follow environmentally friendly solid waste management practices and end open defecation, a Zero Waste Toilet System, claimed to be the first in the country, has been inaugurated here.
The Integrated Urine Diversion Biogas linked flush toilet system was inaugurated in Evoor village near Musiri yesterday by District Collector Jayashree Muralidharan.
Speaking on the occasion, she said Government was giving topmost priority for liquid and solidwaste management and wanted public to end the practice of open defecation and follow environmentally friendly solid waste management practices.
She said in the past three months 358 women sanitary complexes in the district have been renovated at a cost of Rs. 10 crore and handed over to SHG groups for maintenance.
M. Subburaman, Director, SCOPE said that the first Zero Waste Toilet System in the country was initiated by SCOPE and constructed in the house of Thalapathy, a progressive farmer of Evoor Village, at a cost of Rs 37,000.
The ZWTS has five modules a flush out toilet, a bathroom, a urine diversion bowl, a cultivated wetland for treating bathroom water and a biogas plant. The user friendly ZWTS provided the family with a flush out toilet, urine for irrigating the farm, biogas for cooking and slurry from the biogas unit which was excellent manure, he said.
No waste was generated in the ZWTS and all waste were converted into environmentally friendly useful products said A. James, Water and Sanitation Consultant, New Delhi.
G Anand, Solution Centre, Cochin said the ZWTS was the entry of Benjamin Clouet, which won the first prize in the International Sanitation Innovation Contest organised by `FINISH,` New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth