Zoo to generate organic manure from animal waste
Thiruvananthapuram: In a bid to raise internal resources for its maintenance, the zoological park here is getting ready to produce vermicompost on commercial basis.
Bio-wastes generated at the campus including animal dung, dry leaves and other garden waste would be the main raw materials for the proposed vermicompost unit, zoo sources said.
The project, which had successfully been implemented in many other places including Mysore Zoo, will help to earn revenue without much investment and ensure the sanitation of animal enclosures, a top official said.
"Many kilograms of biowaste, especially animal dung, are generated at the zoo daily. Its disposal is really a time and money consuming business. Thus we have started to think about a project in which we can use this biowaste in a productive way," Zoo and Museum director B Joseph told PTI.
One of the oldest zoological parks in the country, Thiruvananthapuram zoo is home to large number of animals like tiger, leopard, rhinoceros, Asiatic lions and elephants, besides birds like Indian Peafowl, White Spoonbill and Cassowary.
Under the project, one portion of the animal dung would be converted into vermicompost while the rest of it would be dried and sold directly, he said.
"We are planning the vermicompost project in a small manner in the initial phase. The pit, erected by the PWD department at the zoo campus, will be used for its preparation," the official said.
A counter would be opened at the zoo campus for the sale of the organic manure, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- DNA: Odisha gets its first 100% solar-powered village
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'