10 Indian institutions in top 100 Asian university rankings
India has made dramatic improvement in an annual Asian universities ranking, with 10 educational institutions figuring in the top 100 list released here Thursday.
London: India has made dramatic improvement in an annual Asian universities ranking, with 10 educational institutions figuring in the top 100 list released here Thursday.
The Times Higher Education (THE) magazine`s "Asia University Rankings-2014" named India as the most improved nation for increasing its tally from just three in 2013 to 10 this year.
Leading the pack at 32nd position is Chandigarh based Panjab University, the alma mater of former prime minister Manmohan Singh; followed closely by the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur at 45th and the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur at 55th rank respectively.
Six of India`s representatives are IITs, with Delhi and Roorkee jointly occupying 59th place and Guwahati and Madras coming in at 74 and 76th in the pecking order.
Jadavpur University in Kolkata (joint 76th), Aligarh Muslim University (80th) and Jawaharlal Nehru University (90th) are the other Indian universities in the list.
"These prestigious rankings are wonderful news for India. The country`s increased engagement with the international agenda, particularly its decision to embrace global performance benchmarks and `Times Higher Education`s` rankings, has dramatically improved its representation among Asia`s top 100 universities. It now has 10 institutions up there with the best the continent has to offer," Phil Baty, editor of `THE` Rankings said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH