AIIMS` seat allocation formula for categories in MDS course not fair: HC
Delhi HC said the formula adopted by AIIMS for allocation of seats to various categories in the Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) course is "not just".
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday said the formula adopted by AIIMS for allocation of seats to various categories in the Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) course, which commenced from July this year, is "not just and fair" as no seat was reserved for OBC category.
The court, however, declined to interfere with this year`s course and asked the Centre and AIIMS to allocate seats as per the provisions in the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Act in future.
"The formula adopted by respondent 1 (AIIMS) is not in conformity with the legislative mandate since sometimes the reserved category candidates are getting more than their due shares and sometimes they are not getting the share which ought to have come to them....," Justice V K Jain said.
The court order came while disposing of a plea filed by one Anusar Gupta, first rank holder in OBC category in post- graduate MDS course, who was refused admission on OBC seat in the institute for this year`s course.
"There is no legal sanctity behind the formula adopted by AIIMS for allocation of seats amongst various categories in the MDS course. Considering the meagre number of seats available in various specialities, the legislative mandate cannot be achieved in case the formula adopted by respondent No1 is allowed to continue.
Whether the legislative mandate can be achieved by treating all the seats in MDS, irrespective of the speciality, as one branch of study and providing reservation accordingly in terms of Section 3 of the Act, is for the respondent No 1 to examine. But the formula applied by it is neither legal nor just and fair," the court also said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!