Allahabad University V-C resigns
Against the backdrop of protests on the Allahabad University campus, Vice-Chancellor Professor AK Singh has tendered his resignation, a top varsity official said.
Allahabad: Against the backdrop of protests on the Allahabad University campus, Vice-Chancellor Professor AK Singh has tendered his resignation, a top varsity official said here on Tuesday.
"Prof Singh sent his resignation by fax to the President of India, who happens to be the Visitor of the University", the varsity`s Registrar Prof BP Singh said.
The V-C`s resignation comes at a time when non-teaching staff of the University have been on an indefinite strike since July 9 to press for their demands which include regularisation of daily wagers and withdrawal of the proposed move to abolish posts like those of sweepers and gardeners which, the varsity authorities have claimed, was being mooted following instructions received from the UGC.
The resignation comes close on the heels of a group of students staging a demonstration on July 25 outside Prof Singh`s residence for several hours in protest against the alleged deteriorating academic environment at the University which was granted Central status in 2005.
On July 26, some BJP MPs had called on the V-C at his residence and were reportedly kept waiting for hours before they were granted an audience.
In 2012, Prof Singh was held hostage inside his residence by students for three days on the issue of vacating hostels. The matter was resolved only after the intervention of the Allahabad High Court.
An IIT alumnus who had taught Chemistry at a number of prestigious institutions within the country as well as abroad, Prof Singh was appointed the Vice-Chancellor of Allahabad University in January, 2011, becoming the second person to hold the post after the varsity was accorded central status.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption