Allahabad University V-C resigns
Against the backdrop of protests on the Allahabad University campus, Vice-Chancellor Professor AK Singh has tendered his resignation, a top varsity official said.
Allahabad: Against the backdrop of protests on the Allahabad University campus, Vice-Chancellor Professor AK Singh has tendered his resignation, a top varsity official said here on Tuesday.
"Prof Singh sent his resignation by fax to the President of India, who happens to be the Visitor of the University", the varsity`s Registrar Prof BP Singh said.
The V-C`s resignation comes at a time when non-teaching staff of the University have been on an indefinite strike since July 9 to press for their demands which include regularisation of daily wagers and withdrawal of the proposed move to abolish posts like those of sweepers and gardeners which, the varsity authorities have claimed, was being mooted following instructions received from the UGC.
The resignation comes close on the heels of a group of students staging a demonstration on July 25 outside Prof Singh`s residence for several hours in protest against the alleged deteriorating academic environment at the University which was granted Central status in 2005.
On July 26, some BJP MPs had called on the V-C at his residence and were reportedly kept waiting for hours before they were granted an audience.
In 2012, Prof Singh was held hostage inside his residence by students for three days on the issue of vacating hostels. The matter was resolved only after the intervention of the Allahabad High Court.
An IIT alumnus who had taught Chemistry at a number of prestigious institutions within the country as well as abroad, Prof Singh was appointed the Vice-Chancellor of Allahabad University in January, 2011, becoming the second person to hold the post after the varsity was accorded central status.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened