Aus univ inks agreements with two IITs
Seeking to develop strategic alliance with India in the area of research and teaching, an Australian university has inked agreements with two of the oldest IITs.
Melbourne: Seeking to develop strategic alliance with India in the area of research and teaching, an Australian university has inked agreements with two of the oldest IITs.
New South Wales-based University of Wollongong (UOW) has signed the Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) with Indian Institute of Technology- Kharagpur (IIT-Kharagpur) and Indian Institute of Technology -Bombay (IIT-Bombay).
According to a statement by the university, a senior delegation from UOW including the Vice-Chancellor Paul Wellings was in India to develop these strategic alliances.
Wellings and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (International) Joe Chicharo formally established a framework for future research and teaching collaboration in complementary disciplines that include mining and related engineering areas while in Kharagpur.
A second MoU was signed at IIT Bombay recently to enhance its existing collaboration in electrical power systems to other allied areas including the integration of renewable energy resources.
The two initiatives would further build upon the existing collaborations that UOW has recently developed with the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) in New Delhi and the Government of Gujarat in the development of an International Centre of Excellence in Mining.
The delegation then also visited and met Gujarat officials to further advance the five year action plan for UOW`s involvement as the international knowledge partner with the new International Centre of Excellence in Mining (iCEM) in the state.
Gujarat government through its Gujarat Mineral Development Corporation is establishing the centre with a focus on mining automation and safety.
UOW will be participating with national institutional partners Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU) and IIT Kharagpur in the development of the centre.
Apart from this, TAFE Illawarra has also been accepted to become one of the vocational skill partners.
The Gujarat Mineral Development Corporation is currently building a new facility near Ahmedabad and has committed to meet the significant capital costs for the first five years and support operational costs for a further five to 10 years, plus it will also fund other projects identified as strategic by UOW or national knowledge partners.
The UOW delegation were also expected to visit PDPU in Gandhinagar to sign an agreement that will formally develop both a study abroad and summer program arrangement.
In the first instance, 20 students as well as a number of staff will visit UOW in June 2014 to undertake a four-week summer programme where they will be exposed to a range of introductory subjects from law, humanities and arts including sociology, political philosophy, international media and communications, research in social sciences and humanities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM