BJP`s student wing ABVP sweeps DUSU polls
The results for the DUSU elections were declared on Saturday with ABVP bagging the most while NSUI managed to win only one.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The results for the Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) elections were declared on Saturday with BJP-affiliated Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) bagging the most while Congress-backed National Students` Union of India (NSUI) managed to win only one.
While ABVP candidate Raju Rawat was elected as the joint secretary, Aman Awana and Utkarsh Chaudhary were elected as president and vice-president respectively.
NSUI managed to bag only one seat with Karishma Thakur being elected as the secretary.
The polls, held on Friday to elect the office bearers of the students’ union at DU and JNU, saw a voters’ turnout of around 40 and 56 per cent respectively.
Twelve candidates, each for the posts of president and vice president; 17 for the post of secretary, and 10 for joint secretary are in the fray for the four major posts of DUSU.
NSUI and ABVP are the main student outfits in fray, while left oriented All India Students Association (AISA) too has fielded some candidates to grab a place in the student`s body.
Meanwhile in JNU, an estimated 56 percent turnout was recorded at the university`s student union elections, which is a five per cent drop from last year.
JNU`s Chief Election Commissioner Gyan Prakash said the turnout was of 56 percent, a decline from last year`s figure of 61 percent.
There are eight candidates fighting for the post of president, five for vice-president, six for general secretary and three for joint secretary in JNUSU.
Students Federation of India (SFI) and All India Students Association (AISA) are the major contenders but National Students Union of India (NSUI) and Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) have also fielded candidates.
Merit-cum-Means Scholarship (MCM) was the common agenda for all the contesting students union.
Polling in JNU was conducted with the help of traditional ballot papers and the results are expected to be declared by Monday.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof