Did you know?
Did you know.
1. There are only 4 words in the English language which end in ‘dous’
(they are: hazardous, horrendous, stupendous and tremendous).
2. The most commonly used letter in the alphabet is ‘E.’
3. The least used letter in the alphabet is ‘Q.’
4. Skiing is the only word with double ‘i.’
5. Dreamt is the only word that ends in ‘mt.’
6. The first letters of the months July through to November spell JASON.
7. The oldest word in the English language is ‘town.’
8. ‘bookkeeper’ and ‘bookkeeping’ are the only 2 words in the English language with three consecutive double letters.
9. The word ‘strengths’ is the longest word in the English language with just one vowel.
10. The dot on top of the letter ‘i’ is called a tittle.
11. The past tense for the English word ‘dare’ is ‘durst.’
12. The word ‘testify’ derived from a time when men were required to swear on their testicles.
13. The first English dictionary was written in 1755.
14. The old English word ‘juke’ meaning dancing lends its name to the Juke Box.
15. 1 out of every 8 letters written is an ‘e.’
16. The longest one syllable word in the English language is ‘screeched.’
17. All pilots on international flights identify themselves in English regardless of their country of origin.
18. The expression to ‘knuckle down’ originated from playing marbles (players used to put their knuckles to the ground for their best shots).
19. The word ‘almost’ is the longest in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
20. The most commonly used word in English conversation is ‘I.’E
Now you know...
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress