IGNOU launches elementary education course for teachers
IGNOU is the world`s largest open university system with a pan-India and international reach with flexible entry qualifications.
New Delhi: To help untrained teachers acquire professional skills in elementary teaching and meet the 2015 deadline of the Right To Education (RTE) act, a new diploma course has been launched by the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), an official said on Saturday.
The two-year diploma in elementary education will enhance the understanding and competency of teachers at "elementary-level teaching".
Under the RTE, provisions related to the training of untrained teachers were given an extension and now have to be met by 2015. As a result, the Arunachal Pradesh government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with IGNOU.
"The teachers will be professionally trained by 2015 through a two year course as per the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) norms," said Srikanth Mohapatra, director, regional services division of the varsity.
"The percentage of untrained teachers in Arunachal Pradesh is high. IGNOU has taken up the challenge to train 9,000 inservice teachers in the state," said Joseph Kuba, regional director, Arunachal Pradesh.
IGNOU is the world`s largest open university system with a pan-India and international reach with flexible entry qualifications and a wide range of academic programmes at affordable cost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information