IIT Kharagpur plans to bring flexible credit-based system in 2016
IIT Kharagpur will soon introduce a introduce a new "credit-based system" which would allow students the flexibility to complete a four-year B Tech course in three-and-a-half years.
Kharagpur: IIT Kharagpur will soon introduce a introduce a new "credit-based system" which would allow students the flexibility to complete a four-year B Tech course in three-and-a-half years.
"For each course there would be pre-specified credit which allows a student the flexibility to complete his course at his own pace. Fast-paced students can finish off six months earlier while those who want to go for year-long internship can go in between and come back to finish the course later on," IIT-Kharagpur, Director, Partha Pratim Chakrabarti said.
The new system, which is part of an academic review to modernise the institute`s undergraduate and postgraduate courses, would be introduced in phases from 2016, he said.
Rajendra Singh, Dean of undergraduate studies, told PTI that if some B Tech students need more time, they would be given upto eight years, while a five-year dual degree course can be completed in seven years.
Professors said the step was being taken as it has been noticed that many students were "bitten by the entrepreneurship bug" during their course and they needed time to launch their start-ups.
"They (students) can take a break from studies for their own venture. Others want time for long internships to get industry exposure which increases their employability and adds to their qualification. Again in some cases the learning process may just be little slow. The new system will have room for everyone," Singh said.
A team of professors of the institute studied the best practices in the top 20 universities of the world, including the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the US and then devised the new credit-based system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video