IIT panel likely to recommend raising tuition fee of UG prog
The standing committee of the IIT Council which meets in Mumbai on November 5 is expected to recommend raising tuition fee of undergraduate programme from Rs 50,000 to Rs 90,000.
New Delhi: The standing committee of the IIT Council which meets in Mumbai on November 5 is expected to recommend raising tuition fee of undergraduate programme from Rs 50,000 to Rs 90,000.
The development comes as an empowered task force is still considering the details for implementation of the Kakodkar Committee which had recommended last year a steep hike of Rs 2-2.5 lakh per annum from the existing Rs 50,000.
As the task force is in the process of deliberation, the proposal for raising the fee by Rs 40,000 per annum would be taken up by the directors as an "interim measure", sources said.
The Kakodkar Committee constituted by the Council of IITs had suggested the four-fold increase in tuition fee to help IITs attain financial independence.
The IIT Council had given in principle approval to the recommendation to be implemented from 2013, with the then HRD minister stating that the extra burden would be "paid back" by students once they are employed.
While the empowered task force is deliberating the issue, the group of directors of IITs, in the meantime, at a meeting in February considered the proposal for tuition fee hike, the matter of which would come before the standing committee on November 5, the sources said.
The meet is also expected to take up the issue of periodic peer review of IITs as per the recommendation of the Kakodkar Committee.
The committee had stated that the government should, through the IIT Council, exercise its prerogative over the IIT by invoking the power of the visitor every five years so that the achievements and governance of the IITs is reviewed by a committee.
This would ensure transparency and accountability to the government and the public. The government can take any corrective step based on this report without impinging on its autonomy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre