IIT panel likely to recommend raising tuition fee of UG prog
The standing committee of the IIT Council which meets in Mumbai on November 5 is expected to recommend raising tuition fee of undergraduate programme from Rs 50,000 to Rs 90,000.
New Delhi: The standing committee of the IIT Council which meets in Mumbai on November 5 is expected to recommend raising tuition fee of undergraduate programme from Rs 50,000 to Rs 90,000.
The development comes as an empowered task force is still considering the details for implementation of the Kakodkar Committee which had recommended last year a steep hike of Rs 2-2.5 lakh per annum from the existing Rs 50,000.
As the task force is in the process of deliberation, the proposal for raising the fee by Rs 40,000 per annum would be taken up by the directors as an "interim measure", sources said.
The Kakodkar Committee constituted by the Council of IITs had suggested the four-fold increase in tuition fee to help IITs attain financial independence.
The IIT Council had given in principle approval to the recommendation to be implemented from 2013, with the then HRD minister stating that the extra burden would be "paid back" by students once they are employed.
While the empowered task force is deliberating the issue, the group of directors of IITs, in the meantime, at a meeting in February considered the proposal for tuition fee hike, the matter of which would come before the standing committee on November 5, the sources said.
The meet is also expected to take up the issue of periodic peer review of IITs as per the recommendation of the Kakodkar Committee.
The committee had stated that the government should, through the IIT Council, exercise its prerogative over the IIT by invoking the power of the visitor every five years so that the achievements and governance of the IITs is reviewed by a committee.
This would ensure transparency and accountability to the government and the public. The government can take any corrective step based on this report without impinging on its autonomy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi