IIT panel likely to recommend raising tuition fee of UG prog
The standing committee of the IIT Council which meets in Mumbai on November 5 is expected to recommend raising tuition fee of undergraduate programme from Rs 50,000 to Rs 90,000.
New Delhi: The standing committee of the IIT Council which meets in Mumbai on November 5 is expected to recommend raising tuition fee of undergraduate programme from Rs 50,000 to Rs 90,000.
The development comes as an empowered task force is still considering the details for implementation of the Kakodkar Committee which had recommended last year a steep hike of Rs 2-2.5 lakh per annum from the existing Rs 50,000.
As the task force is in the process of deliberation, the proposal for raising the fee by Rs 40,000 per annum would be taken up by the directors as an "interim measure", sources said.
The Kakodkar Committee constituted by the Council of IITs had suggested the four-fold increase in tuition fee to help IITs attain financial independence.
The IIT Council had given in principle approval to the recommendation to be implemented from 2013, with the then HRD minister stating that the extra burden would be "paid back" by students once they are employed.
While the empowered task force is deliberating the issue, the group of directors of IITs, in the meantime, at a meeting in February considered the proposal for tuition fee hike, the matter of which would come before the standing committee on November 5, the sources said.
The meet is also expected to take up the issue of periodic peer review of IITs as per the recommendation of the Kakodkar Committee.
The committee had stated that the government should, through the IIT Council, exercise its prerogative over the IIT by invoking the power of the visitor every five years so that the achievements and governance of the IITs is reviewed by a committee.
This would ensure transparency and accountability to the government and the public. The government can take any corrective step based on this report without impinging on its autonomy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared