Loan scheme for disabled students at IGNOU
IGNOU is the world`s largest open university system with a pan-India and international reach with flexible entry qualifications.
New Delhi: IGNOU on Friday organised an awareness programme on financial schemes for educational and vocational development of students with disability, said an official statement.
The loan schemes have been initiated by the National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC) of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and implemented by the National Centre for Disability Studies (NCDS), Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
"The corporation has state channelizing agencies for providing educational loans and training to disabled people along with a stipend of Rs 1,000 per month," said NHFDC chief manager Anil Kumar.
"We also have a scheme of providing loan to parents` association of mentally retarded people to set up an income-generating activity," added Kumar.
Addressing the programme, IGNOU vice chancellor Mahendra P Lama said: "Every course material of the university shall soon provide half-page information about scholarships offered by NHFDC for people with disability."
About 1,000-1,500 disabled students are enrolled with IGNOU per year.
IGNOU is the world`s largest open university system with a pan-India and international reach with flexible entry qualifications and a wide range of academic programmes at affordable cost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America