Americans called mathematics ‘math’, arguing that ‘mathematics’ functions as a singular noun so ‘math’ should be singular too.
1. In 2010 on World Maths Day, 1.13 million students from more than 235 countries set a record correctly answering 479,732,613 questions.
2. Americans called mathematics ‘math’, arguing that ‘mathematics’ functions as a singular noun so ‘math’ should be singular too.
3. They have been calling maths ‘math’ for much longer than we have called it ‘maths’.
4. ‘Mathematics’ is an anagram of ‘me asthmatic’.
5. The only number in English that is spelled with its letters in alphabetical order is ‘forty’.
6. The only Shakespeare play to include the word ‘mathematics’ is The Taming of the Shrew.
7. Notches on animal bones show that people have been doing mathematics, or at least making computations, since around 30,000BC.
8. “Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas.” (Albert Einstein).
10. “Mathematics [is] the subject in which we never know what we are talking about nor whether what we are saying is true.” (Bertrand Russell).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate